On the right-side bank of the River Nogat in Malbork there is a castle, the largest one in the world in terms of area size. It was built in several stages from 1280 until the mid-15th century by the Teutonic Order, initially as a convent castle and the seat of the Grand Commander ; in 1309–1457 it was the seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order and the government of Prussia, in 1457–1772 the castle was a residence of the kings of Poland and the capital of Poland’s Royal Prussia (from 1466); the seat of the Maritime Commission from 1568; in 1772, the castle was taken over by the Kingdom of Prussia and badly damaged in 1773–1804. Reconstructed in 1817–1842 and 1882–1944, heavily damaged in 1945, and under reconstruction again from 1947 onwards. In 1949, the Castle became a listed monument, was officially acknowledged as a historical monument in 1994 and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. It is home to the Castle Museum in Malbork.
City of Malbork
A city in northern Poland, in the Pomeranian province on the Nogat. The seat of the Malbork poviat.